| Professional Experience
|| 2004 – present United Nations Environment Programme ( UNEP) Paris, France
Head of OzonAction Branch
( Annual budget US$ 15-25 million)
- Leading a global programme for safeguarding the ozone layer and the climate system though the policy advice and support for technology transformation to 146 developing countries..
- Delivering the financial and technical aid for the capacity building of the government and industry focal points in the developing countries through UNEP’s four regional offices in Bangkok, Nairobi, Bahrain, and Panama city to get climate mitigation benefits as well as Ozone layer protection under the Montreal Protocol , particularly from phase out of HCFCs.
- Mobilizing finances from the Multilateral Fund, GEF, bilateral donors and fostering the partnerships with private sector, civil society, and international organisations (UNDP, UNIDO, World Bank, FAO, WHO, UNICEF, WCO ) for the programme development and project implementation
- Developing and implementing the projects related to alternatives to ODS, particularly HCFCs that would provide cross cutting and multitude of benefits in the sectors like climate change , chemical management , hazardous substances and waste management
- Formulate, Negotiate, Implement, Evaluate the annual and rolling business plans, work programme, outputs, outcomes, feedback from clients to manage the fully regionalised UN Programme with more than 50 staff .
- Monitor the result-based and compliance-rigour projects.
From 1999 -2004:
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Paris, France
Head of Energy and OzonAction Unit,
- Headed the new unit by conceptualising and establishing the Energy Programme in the Division and enhancing the activities on the Ozone Layer Protection by re-orienting the compliance assistance through UNEP’s regional offices.
- Provided capacity building services and strategic policy advice to the developing countries to develop and implement plans to eliminate the CFCs and other more than 90 ozone depleting substances and Green House Gases as per the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Facilitated and promoted transfer of environmentally sound and energy efficient and renewable energy technologies to developing countries through cooperative and financial mechanisms including Clean Development Mechanism.
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Paris, France
Coordinator OzonAction Programme,
- Launched and Managed the Capacity Building Programme to enable the compliance of developing countries under the Multilateral Fund of the Montreal Protocol. Established international information clearinghouse, prepare and implement of National Strategies, facilitate institutional strengthening, promote networking regional networking of government officers, training of the key stake holders to develop sector management plans.
- Led a Task Force in the Division to initiate the pilot activities under GEF for developing countries in the field of sustainable development, Climate Change mitigation and Ozone Layer Protection.
SRF LTD New Delhi, India (Private sector,Plastics and chemicals)
Deputy General Manager
- Provided advisory service to top-management on strategic diversification and integrating environmental protection in corporate operations.
- Technology assessment, selection and transfer agreement for chloromethane projects to produce- Chloroform, CTC, Methylene Chloride, Methyl Chloride(Budget US$ 10 million)
- Guided R&D activities for Fluorine chemicals, drug intermediates.
- Led the technology development for ozone friendly CFC and HCFC substitutes and halon substitutes. (Budget: US$ 3 Million)
Armour Chemicals , Mumbai, India ( Private sector, Pharmaceuticals)
- Coordinated process development studies related Ampicillin, Amoxycillin, Cloxacillin, 6-APA, Cephalexin, Pyrazinamide, Dane’s Salt, Chloramphenicol, Lyophilized Salts of Semi-Synthetic Penicillin .for the purpose of commercialization.
- Implemented a Cleaner Production (enzymatic) process to manufacture semi- synthetic antibiotics
- Led R&D project for manufacturing of immobilized bio-catalyst/enzymes on bench scale.
- Negotiated project funding from financial institutes, venture capital and R&D funds
Hindustan Organic Chemical, Rasayani, India (Public Sector enterprise)
Project and Planning Engineer
- Implemented Projects (Engineering, Procurement, Erection and Commissioning) to manufacture hydrogen, Aniline, Nitrobenzene, Nitric Acid and integrated utilities
- Provided consultancy services for feasibility studies, trouble-shooting, heat-recovery, energy efficiency, eco-efficiency and engineering for chemical plants manufacture semi- synthetic antibiotics
- Technology selection for PTFE Project through assessment of world wide technologies .
- Implemented of ‘green field ‘ project to manufacture Polytetrafluoethylene (PTFE) starting from Chloroform and HF , with intermediate product of HCFC 22 : Project Manager from “concept to commissioning” (US$15 Million)
- Studied potential of use of Solar Energy in Chemical Industry and implemented a project to utilize Solar Energy.
- Studied waste-minimization project in PTFE plant.
Tata Chemicals, Mithapur, India (private sector-Inorganic Chemicals)
- Supervised following production plants: Caustic Soda and chlorine Projects Water purification/demineralization and treatment plant, Bromine and Bromine chemicals, Salt harvesting,
|| National Level
- Launched and operated technical and policy consultancy unit in public sector for cleaner and safer production, technical assistance for the sick industries, trouble shooting, energy-efficiency and use of renewable energy. (1976-82)
- Developed and implemented a concept of use of solar energy to heat water in the large chemical complexes (1985-86)
- Successfully managed implementation of a “green-field” project to set up large chemical complex from “Concept to Commissioning” for the production of the Flour-polymer.( 1983-1986)
- Developed cleaner and energy efficient enzymatic process in the laboratory and scaled up to commercial scale to manufacture semi-synthetic antibiotics.( 1986-1988)
- Nominated by the Government of India on the national task force to carve out India’s strategy for the ratification of the Montreal Protocol. Played advisory role for developing the strategy for the Government of India that led to the ratification of the Montreal Protocol. ( 1988-1991)
- Participated in the intergovernmental negotiations and contributed in establishment of Multilateral Fund of the Montreal Protocol, first ever fund to implement the MEA in developing countries.
- Starting with annual budget of US$ 1.5 million and 5 staff members, now leading the Capacity Building activities with a budget of up to US $ 25 million with 50 staff members in UNEP’s 5 offices. The programme is now proving to be model for the implementation of other MEAs. (1992 onwards)
- Successfully initiated GEF projects in UNEP ( 1995 onwards ) and established the Energy programme in the Division ( 1999 onwards)
- Under my guidance, 106 developing countries were assisted in prep raring their country strategies for the implementation of the Montreal Protocol and equal number of countries for implementation of the Institutional strengthening projects.
- Developed for the first time in UNEP, activities under climate change mitigation like capacity building workshops for CDM, publications for ‘No Regret Options’ for the emission reductions, Voluntary Initiatives for the climate change mitigation. (1996 onwards)
- Developed and led number of innovative mechanisms in capacity building like Regional Networks of national focal points, South-South cooperation, B2B web site for international trading in the controlled substances, regional compliance management programmes for the small and Least Developed Countries (LDCs), participatory process to prepare country strategy to implement MEAs and training of customs officers. (1997 onwards)
- Guided and authored number of strategy and policy papers that have resulted into the reorientation of UNEP’s programmatic approach to respond to the changing needs particularly:
- Strategic Reorientation of the OzonAction Programme to meet the emerging compliance needs (2001)
- Energy Strategy for UNEP. (1998)
- Climate Change strategy for UNEP (1999)
- Strategy for the coherent and coordinated implementation of the MEAs. (2003)
- Strategy for the GEF-Business Plan implementation (2003-2005) under Ozone Focal area by leveraging the opportunities for broad based chemical management. (2003)
- Initiated Successful Partnerships with the industry:
- Voluntary pledge by the multi-nationals to assist developing countries in ODS-alternative product training.
- With ARAP-USA for Responsible use of HFCs
- With USEPA, Automobile car manufacturers for emission reduction and fuel efficiency for the Mobile Air Conditioning in India and China
- SolarChill partnership with WHO, UNICEF, Greenpeace and private sector to develop technology for vaccine freezer that uses non-ODS, non-GHGs and works on renewable energy..
- RefrigerantsNaturally; Partnership with Coca Cola , Unilever, McDonalds for ODS free and GHG free energy efficient appliances
- With Air India to initiate environmentally friendly activities for the aviation industry.
- Mobilised resources , co financing and partnerships with Governments through specific projects: Japan, Sweden, Australia, France, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Norway, Finland, Canada, USA, Spain, Portugal, Israel, Hungary and The Netherlands.
- Launched innovative integrated capacity building programme for enforcement officers i.e. Green Customs Initiative, with partnership of 6 convention secretariats (CITES, Basel, Montreal, Stockholm, Rotterdam, Chemical Weapons, Biodiversity), 3 international organisations (WCO, INTERPOL, UNEP).
- Interviewed on national and international TV, news papers and journals and delivered key note speeches in number of international conferences in Europe, America, and in developing countries, notably in MIT-USA, Beijing University,Press Club in Beijing, Kennedy Center in Washington DC.
|| In May 2005 , Programme led by me became first Programme in the UN system to win the award from United States Environment Protection Agency-EPA for its work on the protection of the Ozone Layer.The Programme also received in December 2005 a special certificate from the President of Senegal on behalf of all the African countries for assisting the countries in African continent in building their capacity and providing technology support to implement the Montreal Protocol.
The partnership that I promoted won Climate Protection Award from USEPA in 2005.
I received 20th Anniversary Montreal Protocol award for the ‘Outstanding Contribution’ in 2007. My programme also received the ‘Implementation Agency’ award in 2007.
The partnership fostered by me for the development of the SolarChill vaccine cooler won UK Industry award in 2006.
I Contributed and hence received official Nobel Peace Prize certificate in 2007 as coordinating lead author of IPCC report
Received Certificate and appreciation from Chairman of IPCC and also from Executive Director of UNEP for my contribution to IPCC.
In April 2009, he won 2009 Climate Protection award from United States EPA for his work in achieving climate benefits from the actions to protect the ozone layer.
In March 2010 he was honored , on the occasion of golden jubilee year of State of Maharashtra, with the Y.B Chavan Award of the Excellence in Environment
In November 2010 he was awarded the certificate of the appreciation for assisting the African countries from Minister of Uganda on behalf of 53 African countries
In March 2011 , the partnership RefrigerantsNaturally initiated by me won Roy Family award given by Harvard Business School.